Jamie says: New goal- embrace the slow cooker (aka Crock Pot). It’s a genius concept that, I’ll be the first to admit, I under utilize. I love a good sweet potato and thought I’d give the good ol’ classic sweet potato a shot- in the Crock Pot- to make a delicious and tender Slow Cooker Sweet Potato. It was awesome and ready for me when I was. Score.
I was so excited when I found this potato scrub brush for part of a gift that I had to buy one for myself. So adorable!
In the slow cooker you go, sweet potato! And 6 hours later… Out you come, perfectly done!
The potato was perfectly cooked and absorbed all the water in the bottom of the slow cooker- making it perfectly tender.
Vibrant orange. Chock full of vitamin A!
I drizzled extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top for an Italian variation. Delish!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato
- 1 large sweet potato (organic)
- 1/4 cup water
- Scrub sweet potato under running water.
- Place wet sweet potato with water in a slow cooker on low heat.
- Place lid on top and cook for about 6 hours or until soft when pierced with a fork. Enjoy!
Serving suggestion: Top with extra virgin olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
- Nutrition note: Cooking in a slow cooker allows the potato to absorb the small amount of water in the pot. Unlike boiling, which causes some water soluble nutrients to be leached from the potato into the water, the slow cooker better preserves the nutrients. With no water left in the pot, the nutrients stay within the potato.