Jamie says: I feel like this is a recipe most men will love.
It’s so simple and uses beer. Can’t go wrong, right?
It’s got stealth health written all over it, too. Sell it by the beer and taste, but know it also is 100% whole grain and has heart-healthy nuts, seeds, and fruit. Sounds like the perfect Men’s Health month recipe to me. (I just Googled it. It’s in June.)
I had beer bread for the first time this Christmas at my Uncle and Aunt’s house. It was so awesome. I asked for the recipe immediately.
Beer bread is dense, moist, and flavorful. Oh, and it’s filling, too.
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fruit and nut mix-ins of choice (e.g. sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, pistachios, thinly sliced dried apricots)
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 12 oz stout (Guinness Extra Stout- purchased in the single bottle section from Publix)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a bread pan with cooking spray.
- Add all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together to mix well.
- Pour beer on top. Use a spatula to stir until combined. Transfer dough to bread pan. Use hands to evenly distribute dough in pan.
- Bake 1 hour. Remove from bread pan immediately. Slice. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Although beer bread sounds like bar food. It’s far from it. With 100% whole grain-content, heart-healthy nuts and seeds, and dried fruit, it’s practically a super food.