Jamie says: Merry Christmas! I love pomegranate seeds. And they’re only in season for a short window, which includes the Christmas holiday. They look so festive. Like little light bulbs.
It’s one of the only fruits I can think of where you eat the seeds and discard the flesh. They do make a mess, though. Thank goodness for red aprons, right?
I usually quarter the pomegranate, seed it by hand (pulling the seeds away from the membrane), and scoop the seeds into a jar to have them ready for my next culinary masterpiece. Which in this case was a Cottage Cheese and Cantaloupe-topped Waffle Sprinkled with Pomegranate Seeds. The title says it all. Really.
- 1 whole grain waffle (Kashi 7 Grain)
- 4 oz 2% cottage cheese with live and active cultures (Breakstone’s)
- 4 chunks cantaloupe (Publix cut fruit)
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Toast waffle in a toaster.
- Scoop and spread cottage cheese on top.
- Cut cantaloupe chunks into bite-sized pieces, and place on top of cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle waffle with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Cottage cheese makes a great substitute for butter. It adds protein which will help keep you satisfied, calcium for strong bones, and probiotics for a healthy digestive system.