Jamie says: Cookie exchange time! It’s that time of the year. We had a department cookie exchange at work, and I was looking for a new recipe. The only rule- bring enough for everyone in the department to have one. My only requirement- it must have chocolate (and bonus points if it resembled a brownie this time). I just so happended to be taking to my Aunt/Godmother/expert baker on the phone and she mentioned her Dunkable Brownie recipe. Sold. She emailed it over. I invited a friend over and we went to work in the kitchen. I did a little cookie makeover (see nutrition note) and came up with: Chocolaty Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sunflower Seeds!
Sunflower seeds add a nice crunch and nutty flavor to this chocolate upon chocolate cookie.
I had a little leftover dough and put it in single-serving silicone baking cupcake cups. Fun, right?
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa (Hershey’s)
- 1 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbsp margarine (Smart Balance with omega 3s)
- 3 eggs (Eggland’s Best, organic)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (Spice Island)
- 3/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup 60% cacao baking chips (Ghiradelli)
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds (Publix)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper on cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, stir together cocoa and sugar. Add vegetable oil and margarine. Beat with electric beaters.
- Beat eggs. Add eggs and vanilla to cocoa mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually beat in dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Using a spatula, fold in chocolate chips. Using a tablespoon, scoop heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet. (You can also use batter in a cupcake tin.) Sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Bake 18 minutes. Enjoy!
Yield: 26 cookies
- Nutrition note: Cookie makeover- instead of baking chocolate, I used a cocoa powder/vegetable oil/ sugar substitution (1 oz semi sweet Baker’s chocolate = 1 Tbsp cocoa powder + 2 tsp canola oil + 3.5 tsp sugar; 1 oz unsweetened Baker’s chocolate = 3 Tbsp cocoa powder + 1 Tbsp canola oil); instead of butter, I used margarine with omega 3s; to replace most of the all-purpose flour, I used whole wheat; I chose omega 3 eggs with a higher vitamin/mineral content; and I added nutrient-rich seeds.