Jamie says: Happy cinco de mayo! I was inspired by memories of a past trip to San Francisco, California to make “taco truck tacos” tonight. San Francisco was the first time I heard about the food truck concept. I thought it was the coolest thing. It became my mission to find a taco food truck- and guess where we found them? The Mission district. So mission accomplished then and mission accomplished tonight! These are some killer tacos that might even make a food truck taco jealous.
Bring taco truck tacos to your kitchen table.
Celebrate your cinco de mayo with your own tacos.
Mission Accomplished Shrimp Tacos
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz baby bella sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 lb shrimp (wild, USA)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- dash ground red chipotle
- 1 whole lime
- 1/2 cup canned, low sodium organic black beans (Publix GreenWise)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mild salsa (Publix Deli)
- 10 black olives (Lindsay Naturals)
- 8 sweet plantains (El Sembrador, frozen ethnic section)
- 4-6 white corn tortillas (La Tortilla Factory)
- 1/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz (one 100 calorie cup) guacamole (Yucatan, refrigerated produce section)
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- Cook brown rice according to directions on package. (Or defrost leftover frozen brown rice and reheat in the microwave like I did.)
- Slice bell pepper and onion. Pour olive oil in a medium saute pan on medium heat. Add pepper and onion. Stir. Place a lid on top and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir, return to heat and cook until lightly brown. Add mushrooms, reduce heat to medium-low, place a lid on top, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Pour canola oil in a small pan on medium-low heat. Add shrimp and cumin, chili, turmeric, and chipotle. Cook for about 6 minutes or until shrimp are white and cooked throughout.
- Grate a lime. Cut into quarters.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Heat for about 1 minute in the microwave.
- Tear cilantro to bite-sized pieces. Strain salsa. Cut olives in half.
- Heat frozen plantains in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate for about 2 1/2 minutes or until hot.
- Assemble tacos- lay tortillas on plates. Top with: rice; beans; sauteed pepper, onions, and mushrooms; shredded cheese; seasoned shrimp, olives, salsa, guacamole, Greek yogurt, grated lime peel, fresh cilantro. Serve with a wedge of lime (squeeze the juice on top) and warm plantains. Enjoy!
Servings: about 2
- Nutrition note: Amp up the flavor with fresh herbs, citrus juice, and spices. No salt needed here.