Jamie says: My Dad and I love to make pumpkin pancakes. And we also love to share with each other when we do. I’ll call or text him about my pumpkin pancake story or he’ll call and say, “guess what I had for my second breakfast?” Even though we are in different cities and we make them totally differently, we always talk about our pumpkin pancake days. This time, it was with a picture text of the beautiful golden pancakes shown below. It’s an interesting sort of bonding thing…
In this version, I added pecans. I forgot how unique of a taste the pecan has…an almost sweet, buttery nut with a softer crunch.
I like to make extra…
I spread them out on a plate to cool. Then place them in sandwich size plastic containers, with sheets of wax paper in between each pancake, and freeze them. Then when I discover them in the freezer in the weeks to come, I happily pop them in the toaster on high- and I relive my wonderful pumpkin pancakes another time, and another time, and another time…
Pecan Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 cup just-add-water whole grain pancake mix (Kodiak Cakes 100% Whole Grains Frontier Flapjack and Waffle Mix)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 can 100% pure pumpkin (organic)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats (Quaker)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 packets (6.5 g each) golden milled flax seeds (Hodgson Mill Travel Flax, organic)
- 1/4 cup pecan halves (Publix)
- no-stick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to combine pancake mix, water, pumpkin, oats, cinnamon, and flaxseeds.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Spray with no-stick cooking spray, and pour batter into circles (or desired shape) on pan. Place pecan pieces on top of pancakes on pan. After about 1 1/2 minutes, check pancakes for doneness by using a heat-resistant rubber spatula to lift the edge of the pancake. When pancakes are golden brown, flip, and cook an additional 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown when checked with the spatula. Repeat making, spraying pan with no-stick cooking spray before each round of pancakes until batter is finished.
Yield: about 6 large pancakes
Serving size: 1-2 pancakes
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with buttery spread (Smart Balance) and/or real maple syrup on top. Serve with a glass of fat free milk- maybe even fat free milk with omega 3s!
- Nutrition note: Pecans provide a healthy fat that helps you absorb vitamin A (and also vitamins D, E, and K).