Jamie says: My Godfather/uncle made some of the most delicious coleslaw this Christmas season at my Godparent’s 2nd annual nieces and nephews dinner. Yes, only us “kids,” who are now all young adults, are invited to this scrumptious dinner; it’s quite special. I enjoyed my uncle’s non-traditional ginger coleslaw so much that I was inspired to make my own- Citrus Ginger Slaw with Yogurt Dressing.
Red, orange, yellow, green, white, brown, no blue or purple, but quite colorful none-the-less!
Creaminess from fat free Greek yogurt makes this coleslaw lower in saturated fat. With all the flavorful additions, taste is never compromised.
Citrus Ginger Slaw with Yogurt Dressing
- 2 stalks celery (organic)
- 6 mini sweet peppers (Pero Family Farms organic)
- 1/4 large cucumber
- dash salt
- 1 slice yellow onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots (Publix GreenWise)
- 2 cups coleslaw- green cabbage, carrots, and red cabbage (Publix)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (SunMaid)
- 1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds (Advanced Fresh Concepts Franchise Corporation)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, original oven roasted (Wonderful Almond Accents)
- 1″ piece fresh ginger
- 1 lime (rind only)
- 6 oz plain 0% fat Greek yogurt (Fage)
- 1/2 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 Tbsp shredded, unsweetened coconut (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 Tbsp honey, pure clover (Publix)
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- dash salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- Prepare slaw- Use a paring knife to very thinly slice celery and bell peppers. Peel skin off cucumber, cut into slices, and cut slices into quarters. Sprinkle salt on cucumber. Chop onion. Add cut vegetables to a large bowl along with shredded carrots and coleslaw. Use tongs to mix.
- Prepare dressing- peel ginger using a vegetable peeler and discard skin. Use peeler to cut thin slices of ginger. Use a zester to grate rind off 1 lime. Place peeled ginger and grated lime rind in a blender along with plain Greek yogurt, orange juice, shredded coconut, honey, fresh basil leaves, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Blend until combined.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw. Mix well. Chill in refrigerator for about 30 minutes if desired. Before serving, toss in golden raisins, sesame seeds, and sliced almonds. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Coleslaw is quite the nutritious mix of two low calorie, high nutrient vegetables- cabbage, a cruciferous (anti-cancer) vegetable high in vitamins C and K, and carrots high in vitamin A. Restaurant/packaged coleslaw creaminess usually comes from mayonnaise, which in large quantities can yield a higher-calorie, higher-saturated fat side dish. Using a 0% fat free Greek yogurt makes this a lighter version; while fresh ginger, herbs, and citrus, and a little honey and coconut amp up the flavor to a whole new level.