Jamie says: Ever crave something different for lunch? A meal beyond the salad or sandwich? On my day off, I was feeling like something unique- something I wouldn’t pack in a lunch box. (Although I’m sure this would be good cold, as well). I brought back an old recipe with a new twist; the Curry Peanut Tofu with Green Onions and Sun Dried Tomatoes evolved into Curry Chickpeas ‘n’ Tofu Pitas.
Ever had tofu? How about chickpeas? Give them both a try with this new take on lunch.
Meet a lunch with no meat. (I love puns, what can I say.)
Mediterranean and Indian flavors meld for a perfect blend!
Curry Chickpeas ‘n’ Tofu Pitas
- 1/2 package tofu, extra firm (Nasoya TofuPlus)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans (Publix Greenwise Market)
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, julienne cut (California Sun Dry)
- dash salt
- 2 whole wheat pitas (Toufayan Bakeries)
- 2 Tbsp pesto, original Italian (Spice World)
- 1/4 cup redskin peanuts (Planters)
- 2 cups super greens (Organic Girl)
- Drain liquid from tofu. Wrap in paper towels and firmly press to further drain. On a cutting board, use a knife to cut tofu into pieces slightly larger than dice. In a nonstick skillet on medium heat, add olive oil followed by cubed tofu, curry powder, and turmeric. Use a spatula to fold in seasonings. Fold in garbanzo beans and sun dried tomatoes. Cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Cut pitas in half and pull halves open. Spread pesto on the bottom halves followed by peanuts. Stuff with greens. Use a spoon to scoop hot chickpeas and tofu pita into halves. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Go vegetarian- for a day or a meal or two. There’s lots of protein in the tofu (soy) and garbanzo beans.