Jamie says: I made this dinner after returning from the Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND) Annual Symposium in Orlando. What a nutrition re-charge! How could I not come home and cook up a delicious and very nutritious meal?!
What did the dietitian make, you ask? Pistachio Salmon, Shaved Curry Brussels Sprouts, and Barley with Greek Yogurt ‘n’ Salsa!
I think super foods should be made into super heroes. Shall we take a spin around the plate?
Let’s start with the Shaved Curry Brussels Sprouts, a cancer-fighting cruciferous vegetable rolled in heart-healthy olive oil and topped with antioxidant powerhouse turmeric and it’s side kick curry.
Pistachio Salmon time. Salmon- where else can you get so much vitamin D and omega 3 love? Pistachios- go nuts over the vitamins and minerals (B6, copper, manganese, phosphorous, thiamin, magnesium), fiber, and good-for-you unsaturated fats.
Bring on the Barley with Greek Yogurt ‘n’ Salsa. The fiber in the barley will be sure to fill you up! Top it with some calcium and protein-rich Greek yogurt, light salsa and olives with good fats and you’ve got yourself a great meal!
Now only if I could fly after ate it… almost.
- 1/3 lb wild sockeye salmon, skinless (Publix Seafood)
- 1 tsp delicatessen style mustard with white wine (Boar’s Head)
- 1 tsp horseradish (Gold’s)
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roasted, salted, shelled (Publix GreenWise)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place salmon in a baking dish. Spread mustard and horseradish evenly on both sides. Bake until salmon is cooked throughout and flakes with a fork, about 18 minutes.
- Plate and top with fresh basil leaves and pistachios. Enjoy!
Shaved Curry Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Cut bottoms off of Brussels sprouts and discard. Use a knife to shave Brussels sprouts by thinly cutting into thin strips.
- Place in a large skillet pan on medium heat with extra virgin olive oil, curry, and turmeric. Use a soft spatula to mix. Cook until softened and lightly crispy, about 15 minutes. Place on a plate. Enjoy!
Barley with Greek Yogurt ‘n’ Salsa
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup quick barley (Quaker)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (Stonyfield)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 black olives (Lindsay Naturals)
- In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Add barley, reduce hit to a simmer, place a lid on the pot, and cook for about 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Use a ladle to scoop onto a plate. Top with Greek yogurt, salsa, and black olives. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Check out the fun nutrition facts in between all the pictures.