Jamie says: I envisioned this salad up while I was on a swim a few weeks ago. Swimming really is quite wonderful- in addition to creative inspiration, the meditative sport also helps me remember random things I need to do (e.g. add something to the grocery list) and coming up with solutions to problems I wasn’t even planning on answering at that moment. Ready to see what I came up with? Here it is!
Looks like a salad you’d get at a classy bistro to me, right?
I like using pasta as a salad topping.
Aren’t the (natural) colors delightful?
Salads should never be boring.
Time to dig in. I shared this meal with my friend Cameron from UF who recently moved into town! It was so nice seeing her again.
Pesto Tortellini Salad on Greens with Toasted Walnuts
- 1/2 cup walnut halves (Publix)
- 1/2 of a 9 oz package cheese & roasted garlic tortelloni, all natural (Buitoni)
- 1 Tbsp pesto, original Italian (Spice World)
- 3 cups spring mix, organic (Publix GreenWise)
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 mini sweet peppers, red, orange, and yellow, organic (Pero Family Farms)
- 10 florets broccoli, organic
- 12 cherry tomatoes, organic (Pero Family Farms)
- 10 black ripe pitted medium olives, natural (Lindsay Naturals)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, organic low sodium (Publix GreenWise Market)
- 1/4 cup chunky blue cheese extra virgin olive oil vinaigrette (Bolthouse Farms)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 9 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from hot pan and set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add tortelloni to boiling water, stir, reduce heat to a gentle boil, and cook 9 minutes. Drain. Stir in pesto.
- Divide spring mix among two bowls.
- Thinly slice zucchini and sweet peppers. Chop raw broccoli florets into small pieces, discarding long stems. Divide among bowls followed by tomatoes, drained black olives, and rinsed and drained garbanzo beans. Drizzle vinaigrette over salads. Top with pesto tortelloni. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Make pasta share the spotlight- choose veggies as the focus of the meal and then add add pasta on top.