Jamie says: My prize for the Cigna recipe contest came in the mail last week! I used the Williams Sonoma rub for the first time on this recipe. It was absolutely fabulous! If you’ve never tried tofu before, now’s the time…
I loved the smokey flavor!
There’s nothing girly about this recipe either.
Smokey Provolone Tofu with Leeks & Red Bell Pepper
- 1 package (12 oz drained wt) super firm sprouted tofu (Nasoya tofu plus)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 leeks
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 slices provolone (Applegate Farms)
- 1/2 tsp smoke house rub (William Sonoma)
- Drain tofu. Wrap it in paper towels and place on a plate. Set heavy pots and pans on top to further drain tofu. Let sit for 30 minutes. Remove paper towels and slice tofu into thirds (sandwich-style). Stack pieces back together and slice into thirds to create 9 pieces of tofu.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Pour canola oil in pan. Add tofu slices. Cook for about 4 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, wash leeks well to remove dirt and slice the whites into rings (discarding the dark green thick leafy part). Chop bell pepper.
- Flip tofu with a heat-resistant spatula and add leeks and bell pepper. Place a lid on top of the pan and cook for about 4 more minutes or until leeks and bell pepper are soft and lightly brown. Remove lid and add slices of cheese on top. Sprinkle with rub and serve.
Yield: 9 pieces of tofu with veggies
Serving suggestion: Serve with little pieces of bread to make a few mini sandwiches.
- Nutrition note: Tofu is a non-meat source of protein and comes from soybeans.