Jamie says: My inspiration for this dish started with a recipe (Pumpkin Shrimp Curry– you can see I didn’t go the pumpkin route) and my desire to try foods from different cultures. I’ve been curious to experiment cooking with coconut milk- and here is my creation: Creamy Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Shrimp. The curry and squash made it quite colorful and very flavorful. The dish provides a fresh take on squash.
The butternut squash combined with the lite coconut milk gave the soup just the right amount of creaminess. Let’s just say I was looking forward to the leftovers the next day…
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 cup light brown rice, pearl couscous, brown flaxseed, and black lentils (Rice Select Royal Blend with Flaxseed)
- 2 cups water (plus water to fill squash pan with)
- 1/2 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz (1/2 carton) fat free, 33% less sodium chicken broth (Swanson)
- 13.66 oz can lite coconut milk (Thai Kitchen, organic)
- 1 Tbsp ground curry
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 12 oz sliced white mushrooms (Publix)
- 24 cooked frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (Publix GreenWise Market)
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil (my little herb garden)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut butternut squash in half. Place cut-side down in a pan filled with about 1/2 inch of water. Roast until tender about 40 minutes. Allow to slightly cool. Use a spoon to scoop squash from skin. Mash in a bowl with a fork. (You can do this step ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze and defrost the squash.)
- In a small/medium pot, add rice blend and 2 cups water. Bring water to a boil, stir, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover with a lid and cook for 18 minutes. Remove from heat. (Rice can also be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen and defrosted).
- Chop onion. Mince garlic. Chop bell pepper. Chop tomato. Zest and juice lemon.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add extra virgin olive oil and onions. Saute until lightly brown, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic, and heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, then add butternut squash followed by broth, coconut milk, curry, ginger, tomato, mushrooms, and lemon juice. Add lid to pot.
- Remove tails from shrimp and add shrimp to pot.
- Chop basil. Divide rice among individual bowls. Pour soup on top. Sprinkle lemon zest on top and on the rims of the soup bowls along with fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Butternut squash makes the soup thick and creamy without adding extra fat. Choose a reduced fat coconut milk to cut back on the saturated fat.