Jamie says: I was craving Bourbon Pork Chili and wanted a nice corn muffin to go along with it. So I got out some recipes and got cookin’!
They went perfectly with the chili. I broke it up and let it sop up the broth in the chili.
These dense muffins are free of trans fats (unlike most corn muffin mixes).
Corn muffins made hearty and healthy!
Hearty Rosemary Corn Muffins
- no stick cooking spray (PAM)
- 2 cups yellow corn meal (whole grain, if available)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg (Eggland’s Best)
- 2 tsp white vinegar (Publix)
- 3/4 cup, 3 Tbsp, 1 tsp fat free milk (Publix)
- 1 tsp baking soda (Arm & Hammer)
- dash salt
- 2 packets (13 g) milled (ground) flax seed (Hodgson Mill’s Travel Flax)
- 1/3 cup honey crunch wheat germ (Kretschmer)
- 4 oz (1 portioned container) unsweetened, organic apple sauce (Publix Greenwise)
- 2 Tbsp trans fat free original buttery spread (Smart Balance)
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary (Spice Island)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat cupcake tin with no stick cooking spray.
- Add ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well with beaters on low speed until combined.
- Pour into cupcake tins. Sprinkle tops of corn muffins with rosemary, if desired. Bake for 18 minutes or until cooked throughout. Enjoy!
Yield: 10 muffins
- Nutrition note: Make your own corn muffins to avoid the partially hydrogenated oils that are found in many packaged corn muffin mixes. The flax seeds, wheat germ, apple sauce, and buttery spread are healthy baking mix-ins/substitutions.