Jamie says: Who knew that grilled cheese could be oh-so good?!
Looking for a meatless meal for Lent? Look no further…
Grilled cheese has moved beyond the two slices of cheese between two slices of white bread…
Meet your new love- Portabello Kale Grilled Cheese- made with succulent sauteed mushrooms and onions and beautiful green kale. Served on your not-so-average oatmeal bread.
Portabello Kale Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- 4 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms (Publix)
- dash freshly ground pepper
- pinch fine sea salt
- 4 cups kale, prewashed (Glory Foods)
- 4 oz 2% reduced fat shredded cheese (Publix)
- 4 slices oatmeal bread (Publix Greenwise Market Organic Honey Oatmeal Bread)
- 1 tsp trans fat free buttery spread (Smart Balance)
- Preheat sandwich press/panini maker. Preheat a large non-stick saute pan on medium heat.
- Slice onion. Quarter slices. Add extra virgin olive oil in saute pan followed by onion pieces. Stir with a wooden spoon occasionally until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Spread buttery spread on bread and place bread in sandwich press/panini maker. Heat until light brown grill marks appear, about 4 minutes. Place on a plate.
- To the onions, add sliced baby bella mushrooms, freshly ground pepper, and sea salt. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes until slightly softened. Add kale. Stir and heat another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Top one piece of bread with cheesy sauteed portabellos, kale, and onions. Place the other slice of bread on top. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Jazz up the flavor and nutrition of your grilled cheese by adding vegetables (kale, mushrooms, and onions), using a bread with whole grains (such as oats), and selecting a reduced fat cheese.