Jamie says: I’m not quite sure where the epiphany came from that I could top nachos with sardines, but regardless, I’m happy I made this vision become a reality because Smoky Sardine Nachos sure are one of a kind!
The sardines add sustenance and a nice smoky flavor.
These nachos didn’t skimp on toppings or taste.
Smoky Sardine Nachos
- 1 thin slice red onion
- 7 cherry tomatoes
- 5 medium black olives (Lindsay Naturals)
- 3 oz (1/2 box) lightly smoked wild sardines in extra virgin olive oil with lemon (Wild Planet)
- 1 light string cheese (Sargento)
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- 8 sea salt multigrain snack chips (Late July)
- Prepare toppings: Chop onion. Halve cherry tomatoes and olives. Slice sardines into bite-sized pieces. Peel string cheese. Tear basil.
- Lay chips on a microwave-safe plate. Top with prepared toppings. Microwave for 30 seconds, check, and microwave for an additional 30 seconds or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are soft. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Traditional nachos are loaded with cheese and maybe bacon and sour cream and ground beef… you can have your nachos and eat them in health too by making some tasty and healthy substitutions- such as by adding veggies, choosing (and using less of) a reduced fat cheese, selecting a chip with whole grains (and omega 3s), using omega-3 rich sardines as your protein, and enjoying them in moderation.