Jamie says: Although I moved to a new city, I still get to see quite a few of my Gainesville friends. Many of these friends visit because they have family or boyfriends that live in my new town. In the last week, I was so happy to see three of my close Gainesville pals. With Emma I went biking; Shannon and I caught up at a cool restaurant/bar/lounge with her boyfriend; and Clarissa came over for dinner. What a fun week it has been! Here’s the dinner my dear friend Clarissa and I made together…
We made a delicious meal- Bourbon Salmon Tacos with Cheesy Skillet Corn and Great Greens. Here’s my version (I added the olives to the second taco)…
And here’s Clarissa’s take on it…
It was so great seeing my amazing friend over an amazing meal. Until next time…
Bourbon Salmon Tacos with Cheesy Skillet Corn and Great Greens
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- 2 ears yellow corn
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots (Publix)
- dash sea salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat (2%) shredded cheddar cheese (Kraft)
- 2/3 lb salmon (Publix Seafood)
- 2 Tbsp bourbon (Blanton’s The Original Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey, 93 proof)
- 2 cups fresh greens (kale, cilantro, chives, red leaf lettuce, parsley)
- 2 slices yellow onion
- 16 medium black olives (Lindsay Naturals)
- 1/4 cup salsa (Garden Fresh Gourmet, Thick & Chunky, all natural, medium)
- 4 oz plain non-fat 0% Greek yogurt (Chobani)
- 4 low carb-low sodium wraps (Toufayan Bakeries)
- Cut corn off the cob by holding the cob vertically on a cutting board and using a sharp knife to cut the rows of kernels off in a downward stroke.
- To a medium-sized saute pan on medium heat, Add extra virgin olive oil, corn kernels, shredded carrots along with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shredded cheese and stir. Heat for an additional minute. Scoop into a serving bowl.
- In a separate medium-sized pan on medium heat. Place salmon in pan. Pour bourbon on top. Cook for about 6 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 2 minutes until fish flakes and is cooked throughout. Set aside on a serving dish.
- Meanwhile, cut greens with kitchen shears (or chop); slice onion and olives; drain salsa; and bring in separate bowls/containers to the table along with Greek yogurt and wraps.
- Prepare each wrap with salmon, cheesy skillet corn, greens, onion, olives, salsa, and Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 wraps
- Nutrition note: How do you pick a wrap? In addition to calories, look for whole wheat flour as a first ingredient and any added bonuses like fiber, protein, calcium, omega 3s, etc. Each Toufayan Bakeries low carb low sodium wrap has 100 calories, 7 grams fiber, 8 grams protein, 30% calcium and is made with whole wheat flour as a first ingredient.