Jamie says: I finally got around to baking the pumpkin muffin mix that “The Great Pumpkin” brought me for Halloween. Better late than never. I was committed to being in my apartment complex for four hours while I anxiously awaited my IKEA delivery, so I figured it was the perfect time to do some baking.
I changed the recipe on the package by adding apple sauce and chocolate chips and making my own cream cheese spread.
The spread was a little tough to smear, but complemented the cupcake perfectly with its varying textures and sweetness.
My sister got a batch of the mix, too. Thanks to a heads-up I got about her muffins being a little dry, I was able to doctor up the recipe, resulting muffins that were so moist I’m taking the authority to call them cupcakes!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fat free (skim) milk
- 8 oz bag pumpkin muffin mix (Flamingo Farmers Market- Davie, FL; http://www.OldMuffinFactory.com)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork. Add canola oil, fat free milk, pumpkin muffin mix, and apple sauce. Stir to mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place 8 baking cups in muffin tins or spray 8 cups of muffin tin pan with no-stick cooking spray. Use a spoon to divide batter into baking cups or muffin tins. Bake for 23 minutes or until done.
Date Sugar ‘n’ Spice Raisin Cream Cheese Spread
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese spread (four 1 oz Weight Watchers individual cups)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp date sugar (Chatfield’s)
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- In a small/medium sized mixing bowl, add cream cheese, cinnamon, and date sugar. Blend until combined. Stir in raisins.
- Spread on cupcakes. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Choose a reduced fat cream cheese to cut back on calories and saturated fat. Apple sauce adds moisture without adding additional fat.