Jamie says: Happy Leftovers Day! Leftovers Day is an official holiday in my family, almost as important as the nationally-recognized Thanksgiving. Today we do the “no-frills” approach- everyone reunites at Granny’s house after their day’s adventure, the turkey is served straight out of the Tupperware, the jar of mayo comes out of the fridge, paper plates are the servingware of choice, and everyone eats when they’re hungry. That’s what makes it fun. It’s really quite a special day.
If you have leftover pumpkin seeds or leftover canned pumpkin, you might be asking yourself what to do with these seasonal foods before the holiday is over. Just remember, the holiday isn’t over yet. Today is Leftovers Day!
Cooking to perfection on my pan from Grandma…
A pumpkin-perfect breakfast for Kathryn and me. (I was so happy she could visit me a few weeks ago to share this breakfast.)
Pumpkin Crunch Pancakes
- 1 cup just-add-water whole grain pancake mix (Kodiak Cakes 100% Whole Grains Frontier Flapjack and Waffle Mix)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 100% pure pumpkin
- dash ground cinnamon
- dash ground cloves
- dash ground nutmeg
- dash sea salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp buttery spread (Smart Balance)
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
- no stick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine pancake mix, water, pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sea salt. Pre-heat a large saute’ pan on medium heat.
- Coat pan with no stick cooking spray and pour 1/2 of pancake batter onto pan to make two pancakes. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds. Cook until bubbles stop forming and bottom of pancake is golden brown, about 1 minute. Flip to cook other side and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Place on a serving plate. Repeat once more using remaining batter and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve pancakes on two plates. Spread buttery spread on top of pancakes and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: These pancakes are healthy and delicious. What makes them so healthy? They’re made with whole grain mix, vitamin A-rich pumpkin, magnesium-filled seeds, cinnamon with antioxidant power, and a cholesterol-friendly spread.