Jamie says: In mid-bite of my delicious Rye with Salted Honey Cottage Cheese, Banana Slices, & Blueberries open-faced sandwich, I thought, “man, why didn’t I take a picture of this first!” This happens from time to time. I’ll make something really quick and think that it’s not going to be something worth writing about, I’ll dig in and have a few bites, and then think, I wish I had taken a photograph- this really is “blog-worthy!” So this time, I gave in mid-bite. I thought the bite-marks added character,kind of like a scar or battle wound…
It really was quite simple and can be made in minutes.
This sweet and salty treat was so good it was almost like dessert!
Rye with Salted Honey Cottage Cheese, Banana Slices, & Blueberries
- 2 slices rye bread (Vine’s Eastside Rye- from Gainesville’s Downtown Farmers’ Market- took some frozen with me)
- 4 oz cottage cheese (Breakstone’s 2% with Live and Active Cultures)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- dash fine sea salt
- 1 ripe, medium banana
- 1/8 cup blueberries
- Toast bread in the toaster until lightly crispy.
- With a knife, spread cottage cheese on both slices of toast. Drizzle honey and sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Slice banana. Place on top of cottage cheese. Intersperse blueberries. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Like to use a lot of butter or spread? Try cottage cheese instead! It’s creamy and delicious. Plus, it’s lower in calories and fat, high in protein, and is a good source of calcium. You can make a thick layer guilt-free!