Jamie says: My funny confession- I had this one weekend where I bought a ton of beans during my weekly trip to Publix. Dry beans (think lentils, lima beans), canned beans, bean products (like tofu and edamame)- you name it. When I got home, I realized how much I bought. (Hey, at least it wasn’t junk food, right?) I’ve barely dented my stash. But despite the plethora of beans, I was in for a real treat tonight when I made Big BBQ Bourbon Baked Beans with Bacon…
I love alliteration. Big BBQ Bourbon Baked Beans with Bacon. Say that three times fast.
So I know people don’t typically make BBQ lima beans, but why not? These have got big taste and a bold flavor.
Big BBQ Bourbon Baked Beans with Bacon
- 1/2 lb (about 1 2/3 cup) large lima beans (Publix)
- 4 slices bacon (Oscar Mayer Center Cut Original)
- 1/4 cup bourbon (Blanton’s The Original Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey, 93 proof)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (1/2 cup Bull’s Eye Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce; 1/2 cup New Garden Special Bar B Que Sauce)
- In a medium pot, add beans and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans (discarding water) and rinse.
- Add 3 cups fresh water to pot with beans. Cover pot with a lid and bring to a slow boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, tilt lid, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and discard water.
- Chop bacon and add to the beans along with bourbon and BBQ sauce. Place on medium-low heat with the lid on. Heat for about 45 minutes or until bacon and bourbon have cooked. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Lima beans have a lot of fiber, are a good source of protein and iron, and contain no fat. In just 1/4 cup dry lima beans, you can get 48% of the daily value of fiber. Wow!