Jamie says: I love ricotta cheese. (I’ll give credit to my Italian heritage for that one.) I like it on ziti with red sauce and pork meatballs, as a dessert with chocolate chips, and slathered on bread. Here’s my latest ricotta creation:
Ricotta makes a perfect spread for bread (hehe, that rhymes) because it’s so creamy and smooth. It makes little mountains of goodness…
It’s so simple yet so perfect. The beauty of real food.
Ricotta and Fresh Basil on Sliced Whole Wheat Loaf Bread
- 2 slices whole wheat loaf bread (Vine, Gainesville)
- 1/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese (Polly-o)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 20 small basil leaves
- dash coarse sea salt
- Toast bread slices in a toaster.
- Spread ricotta on bread. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and place basil leaves on top. Sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!
Nutrition note: By using part skim ricotta as a butter substitute for bread, your adding lots of calcium and protein and cutting back on the fat and saturated fat.