Jamie says: I’ve discovered roasted tomatoes. And my world will never quite be the same…
The flavor is quite incredible. This is becoming my new “tomato sauce” for pasta.
The colors are very Italian, but also the ideas of roasting tomatoes is Italian. I just remembered that K and I roasted tomatoes when we cooked with Maureen Fant in Rome, Italy last year.
I enjoyed these tomatoes on spaghetti but I’m envisioning them on bread- like a bruschetta.
Check out that fresh basil, chunks of garlic, and warm roasted tomato… yum! Now it’s your turn to make some.
Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic with Fresh Basil
- 2 medium tomatoes (farmers’ market)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 leaves fresh basil (from my basil plant from the farmers’ market)
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Chop tomatoes. Mince garlic. Place tomatoes and garlic in a baking dish. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper on top and mix. Roast for 2 hours.
- Use kitchen shears to cut fresh basil over roasted tomatoes. Stir. Enjoy hot or refrigerate and enjoy cold.
Serving suggestion: Serve over pasta, on bread, or on top of a salad.
- Nutrition note: Tomatoes are high in vitamins A and C.