Jamie says: I’ve been wanting to bake for quite some time. I’m not talking about cooking (I cook all the time and love it), but I’m talking about getting out the baking sheets, beaters, and spray PAM to bake a dessert. I realized I haven’t baked in, well, forever. (Ok. I’m looking back to previous blog posts and discovered the last time I baked something was January, but that’s a long time!). I must have had the Cooking Light Chocolate-Cherry Heart Smart Cookies in mind because I bought the dark Ghiradelli’s chocolate baking chips and dried cherries a couple of weeks ago at Publix. I’ve actually made these cookies a couple of times before, and they were delicious each time, but this time I added toasted coconut. They taste killer and they’re on their way to perfection. And I already know what secret ingredient I’m going to add the next time I make ’em, too… and I’m not telling- yet.
It’s hard not to love these cookies. The sweet, tart, chocolaty, and salty tastes combine to make an incredible explosion of flavor that leaves you savoring every bite. Could it be possible that these cookies are actually quite good for you? No… it couldn’t be true. But it is!
When dark chocolate meets tart dried cherries and says hello to a toasty coconut accompanied by nutty rolled oats, you’ve got yourself a party- of flavor, varying textures, and splendid bliss. Dig in!
Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies with Dried Cherries and Toasted Coconut
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (Woodstock)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour (King Arthur 100% organic)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (Quaker)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp buttery spread (Smart Balance)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup (6 oz bag) dried tart cherries (Sun-Maid)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 oz 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghiradelli’s premium baking chips)
- cooking spray (PAM)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Preheat a medium-sized, non-stick pan on a burner on medium heat. Add shredded coconut on the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes or until lightly golden brown, stirring frequently. Scoop into a bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Stir.
- In a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, melt buttery spread in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then stir. Add brown sugar to buttery spread and stir. Add butter/sugar mixture to flour mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until well-blended.
- Add cherries, vanilla, and egg; beat to mix. Fold in toasted coconut and chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Spray two baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray. Scoop heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto baking sheets and use hands to form into cookies. Place baking sheets in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until cooked throughout and lightly brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove from baking sheet. Enjoy!
Servings: 20 cookies
- Nutrition note: What ingredients make these delicious cookies so healthy? The oatmeal and whole wheat flour (replacing some of the all-purpose flour), trans-fat-free buttery spread (instead of butter), dark chocolate chips (instead of milk chocolate chips), and addition of dried fruit.