Jamie says: I’ve been waiting for this time since last year… it’s Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon time at Publix! It’s at season’s peak!
I picked up a nice, red filet and got to work in the kitchen. I was inspired by the Salmon BLT recipe in the little trifold on the seafood section counter at Publix… so I made my own Wild Alaskan Salmon BLT.
The salmon tasted so fresh and nothing like frozen salmon. I liked how the thick bread from the farmers’ market held the mayo and all the fillings. The bacon added a nice crunch, too.
Wild Alaskan Salmon BLT
- 1/4 lb Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (Publix)
- 2 slices bacon (Oscar Mayer Center Cut Original)
- 2 slices whole wheat loaf (Vine, Gainsville Wednesday farmers’ market)
- 1 slice onion
- 1/2 tomato (vine-ripened)
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat mayo with olive oil (Kraft)
- 1/4 cup washed mixed baby greens (Organic Girl Super Greens- red & green swis chard, tat soi, arugula, and spinach)
- Preheat a saute pan on medium heat. Place salmon on pan and cover with a lid. Cook about 4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 4 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 2 minutes. Toast bread in toaster.
- Chop onion and slice tomato. Spread mayo on one slice of bread and top with chopped onion.
- Assemble sandwich: On other slice of bread, add baby greens followed by tomato, basil, salmon, bacon, and bread slice with mayo and onion. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Salmon is a great source of omega-3s and vitamin D, two nutrients that are difficult to come by in food. So enjoy!