Jamie says: I sure got my arm workout for the week this Wednesday. It’s coming to me now why. I carried this massive watermelon from the farmers’ market and then went to Pilates where there’s this awesome instructor who makes sure you walk away from the class feeling like you got something out of it. Her focus this week? Triceps. And that’s why I’m still feeling it.
I love my new routine of going to the farmers’ market. There are so many awesome choices it’s hard to decide. This week I knew I wanted to buy, though. Freshly squeezed orange juice. I sampled it last week and couldn’t stop thinking about it for days. And I’m not even a juice drinker. It’s got to be one of the best tasting orange juices I’ve had in my whole life. And that’s why I paid $8 for a half of gallon of the stuff with no hesitation. I’m not the only one who thinks this stuff is awesome. Just ask the dietitians at the VA about “The Juice Man.” He samples his four juices each Wednesday at the Downtown Farmers’ Market. One sip and you’ll see why it’s the rave.
After sampling the orange juice, I knew I wanted it soon- like with dinner. So I was inspired to make breakfast for dinner using my newly purchased orange juice and kale.
The meal was delicious and nutritious, incorporating all 5 food groups- protein (eggs), dairy (cheese), grains (toast), vegetables (kale), and fruit (orange juice). Yay! And on that note, Happy 1st Birthday to MyPlate! (Don’t miss the nutrition note below.)
Cheesy Scrambled Eggs, Kale Chips, Sauteed Mushrooms, Sprouted Grains Toast, and Orange Juice
- 4 cups fresh kale (farmers’ market)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- a dash of sea salt
- a dash of freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup whole baby portabella mushrooms (Publix)
- 1 Tbsp buttery spread (Smart Balance, Original), divided
- 1 inch cube 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot)
- 2 large omega 3 eggs (4 Grain)
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread (Food For Life, 7 Sprouted Grains- in freezer section)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (The Orange Shop)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Rinse kale and pat dry. Tear leaves from stems (discarding stems). If needed, tear leaves into pieces about half the size of your palm. Spread on a baking sheet or in a baking dish with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and mix. Bake for about 30 minutes or until lightly crispy.
- Rinse mushrooms, pat dry, and slice into quarters. In a small/medium non-stick frying pan on medium heat, melt 2 tsp butter spread. Add quartered mushrooms. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Thinly slice cheese. Set aside. Place a pea-sized amount of butter spread in another small/medium non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Crack eggs in pan. Lightly beat, beating frequently until cooked. Add cheese and freshly ground pepper. Using a new cooking utensil, stir in cheese until melted.
- Toast frozen bread. Spread with remaining 1 tsp buttery spread.
- To serve, place cheesy scrambled eggs, kale chips, sauteed mushrooms, and toast on plate or make open-faced sandwiches. Pour orange juice into a small juice glass. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Happy 1st Birthday, MyPlatey! MyPlate is the tool that has replaced MyPyramid which has replaced the Food Pyramid. Check out www.ChooseMyPlate.com, the government nutrition website, today to see what fun nutrition information you can learn.