Jamie says: I’m totally into pancakes right now. Food kick number 105. Friday night it was Sweet and Savory Squash Pancakes and this afternoon it was… Roasted Corn Whole Wheat Pancakes with Fresh Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Basil and Sauteed Spinach and Onions.
I Skyped my Mom this morning for Mother’s Day. She opened my gift and showed me her souvenirs from her trip. Part of my gift to her was a painting I made her that matches the one in my room. After we ended the call, she went to my Godparents house for a tasty lunch, I didn’t want to be left out of the good food, so I went straight to the kitchen…
I’m not quite sure what my inspiration was, but these pancakes definitely tasted AWESOME! They were like arepas but healthier, colorful, and even more flavorful.
Roasted Corn Whole Wheat Pancakes with Fresh Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Basil and Sauteed Spinach and Onions
- 1/2 cup just-add-water whole grain pancake mix (Kodiak Cakes 100% Whole Grains Frontier Flapjack and Waffle Mix)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided (Filippo Berio)
- dash coarse sea salt (Alessi)
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 2 thin slices large sweet onion (farmers’ market)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 medium-small ear of corn
- two 1/4 inch slices fresh mozzarella cheese (Sorrento, 100% Natural)
- 2 Tbsp smoked sun dried tomatoes, julienne cut (California Sun Dry)
- 12 leaves fresh basil (Thai basil plant from farmer’s market)
- no stick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine pancake mix and water.
- Pre-heat a medium-sized saute’ pan on a burner on medium-high heat. Pour 2 tsp (reserving 1 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil in pan. Add onion. Stir. Cook for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until slightly wilted. Remove pan from heat.
- Pre-heat a medium-sized saute’ pan on a burner on medium-high heat. Remove husks from corn. Stand ear of corn vertically on a large cutting board and use a knife to slice rows off until all of corn is off the cob. Pour 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil into pan. Add corn, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Pre-heat a large saute’ pan on medium-high heat. Spray with no stick cooking spray and pour 1/2 of pancake batter onto pan to make one pancake and immediately add 1/2 of roasted corn. Use the back of a spatula to lightly press corn into pancake. Cook until bubbles stop forming and bottom of pancake is golden brown, about 1 minute. Flip to cook other side and cook until golden brown, about 45 seconds. Remove from pan. Repeat to form a total of two pancakes.
- Place slices of mozzarella cheese on the pre-heated saute’ pan used to make the pancakes. Quickly heat slices of cheese for 10 seconds on each side to slightly melt. Place one slice of cheese on top of each pancake. Divide sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil on top of cheese on pancakes. Serve sauteed spinach and onions on the side. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Did you know this recipe has three whole grain sources in it? In addition to the whole grains from the Kodiak pancake mix (100% whole grain wheat flour and 100% whole grain oat flour), corn is also a whole grain.