Jamie says: Oh, the power of suggestion! My amazing friend Clarissa and I were talking about food today on our kayaking adventure (on which we saw about 10 alligators, by the way). We were on the subject of cottage cheese, and she mentioned how tasty it was to top a salad with cottage cheese. I’ve seen cottage cheese at salad bars but honestly, I found it peculiar, and never thought to put it on a “lettuce salad.” Clarissa also mentioned how a friend made her dinner and there was an awesome salad with seasoned nuts. I put the two ideas together and invited some creative freedom and made a Beet & Spiced Pecan Salad with Cottage Cheese.
The beets were so tender and flavorful, and the nuts had the perfect combo of spices- sweet and salty. The cottage cheese brought the dish together quite nicely.
It was so good, I toasted a second batch of pecans so I can make another Beet & Spiced Pecan Salad with Cottage Cheese for lunch tomorrow.
- 3 beets
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rinse beets. Place a large sheet of aluminum foil in a baking dish. Pull foil up around beets like a boat. Add water. Pinch foil shut. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool. Peel skin off beets. Refrigerate until cool. (Save beet juice for a Beet Orange Smoothie with Arugula).
- 15 pecan halves
- no stick cooking spray (PAM)
- dash fine sea salt
- dash freshly pepper
- dash curry powder
- dash ground cinnamon
- dash ground nutmeg
- dash powdered ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking pan with no stick cooking spray. Place pecan halves on pan and spray both sides with no stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, curry, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow to cool.
Beet & Spiced Pecan Salad with Cottage Cheese
- 5 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 1 slice sweet onion
- 1/2 tomato (Tasti-Lee)
- dash dried basil leaves
- 4-8 oz cottage cheese (Breakstone’s 2% with live and active cultures)
- 1 Beet (see above)
- 15 Spiced Pecans (see above)
- Chop lettuce, onion, and tomato. Sprinkle basil on tomato. Place chopped lettuce on a plate. Top with chopped onion and tomato. Scoop cottage cheese into center of salad. Chop beet and place on salad along with Spiced Pecans. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Looking for non-meat sources of protein? Cottage cheese and nuts and two good options.