Jamie says: It’s been two weeks since I’ve been to the grocery store. It’s time to make a visit. I’m pretty much out of fresh fruit and milk, but thanks to the shelf-stable almond milk I found in the pantry, I was able to make a delicious breakfast this morning.
I always like to have an extra milk substitute in the pantry for days.
It’s a heart-healthy breakfast that tastes good, too!
And all of the ingredients can be found in your pantry…
Cheerios with Dark Chocolate Chips & Toasted Walnuts
- 8 walnut halves
- 1 cup toasted whole grain oat cereal (Cheerios)
- 1 cup original almond milk (Silk Pure Almond)
- 16 bittersweet 60% cacao premium baking chocolate chips (Ghiradelli)
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Place walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a cutting board. Chop walnuts into bite-sized pieces. Allow to cool.
- Pour cereal into bowl, followed by milk, walnut pieces, and chocolate chips. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Keep a shelf-stable milk or milk substitute (like almond milk or soy milk) on hand for those days when the refrigerator is a little more barren. In this way, you’ll almost always have a healthy breakfast at hand before you go grocery shopping.