Jamie says: I woke up craving something savory. Luckily it was the weekend, so I had some extra time to experiment…
So I made my first quiche! I used a the broccoli Romanesco and the bunch of leafy greens I purchased earlier in the week from the Gainesville Farmers’ Market downtown. (It’s held on Wednesdays- afternoon to evening).
The crust of the quiche was nice and thick. The balsamic cheese, bacon, and mixed greens added lots of flavor.
The vibrant colors made this a pretty meal. Actually, with the bright reds and greens, this would make a beautiful Christmas quiche!
Broccoli Romanesco & Mixed Greens Whole Wheat Quiche with Balsamic Cheese & Bacon
- 1 cup unbleached 100% whole wheat flour (King Arthur)
- 1 Tbsp buttery spread (Smart Balance Original)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- dash salt
- 4 large omega-3 eggs (4 Grain)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 small head broccoli Romanesco (from farmers’ market)
- 4 cups mixed leafy greens- winterbor kale, radish tops, mustard greens, Asian mustard greens, celery herb, French sorrel, clove, dock sorrel, parsley (a $1 assortment from woman on the corner of the Gainesville’s Downtown Wednesday farmers’ market)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cooked sweet peppers and onions (Mancini Fried Peppers)
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 slices bacon (Oscar Mayer Center Cut Original)
- 1″ cube balsamic cheese (BellaVitano, Reserve)
- no stick cooking spray (PAM)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9″ pie pan with no stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, buttery spread, baking powder, water, salt, and 1 egg. Press dough into bottom of pie pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked. Remove from heat.
- Fill the bottom of a medium-sized pot with a veggie steamer one-third of the way full with water. Bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut florets off broccoli head. Cut large pieces in half and place in the veggie steamer basket. Cook for about 8 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. Remove pot from heat. Remove veggie steamer basket from pot and allow broccoli to dry.
- Preheat a large saute pan on medium heat. Chop stems off mixed greens and discard. Chop remaining leafy greens; set aside. Add canola oil to pan. Peel garlic and use a garlic press to press garlic into pan; use a knife to remove remaining garlic from garlic press. Brown pressed garlic for about 1 minute. Add leafy greens and a dash of salt, cook for about 3 1/2 minutes or until soft.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the 3 remaining eggs, sweet peppers and onions basil, parsley, and oregano. Stir in cooked broccoli Romanesco and mixed leafy greens.
- Pour egg/veggie mixture over baked crust. Cook for about 25 minutes or until egg is cooked throughout.
- Microwave bacon for 1 1/2 minutes. Use a paper towel to absorb extra grease after cooking. Cut bacon into bite-sized pieces. Grate cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese and add crumbled bacon to top of quiche. Heat in oven for 1 minute or until cheese melts. Enjoy!
Nutrition note: Why is this quiche healthier? It uses a whole wheat crust, fewer eggs, and more veggies and herbs. There is a small amount of bacon and cheese- just enough for flavor.