Jamie says: When I was in the bakery at the grocery store, I picked up a crusty white baguette and added it to my cart. I later came across kalamata olives (on sale) and mozarella cheese (also on sale). My wheels started turning. I was going to have a Mediterranean picnic.
After church, I invited my friend Clarissa over to join me in a mini-feast. We wined and dined- picnic style- and enjoyed the gorgeous weather.
We each made plates and kept filling them up as we went.
I sliced the bread, spread some hummus on the inside, and stuffed it with sardines, olives, peppers, and cheese. The meal was simple, but the flavors were outrageous. Each ingredient could hold it’s own.
The grapes were a nice palate-cleanser…and so was the wine!
A little later, I thought of dark chocolate as the perfect ending.
I love how the Dove Promises have messages on them, too.
Mediterranean Picnic Lunch
- 3.75 oz can sardines in olive oil (Brunswick; from Publix)
- 12 pitted kalamata olives (Publix Deli)
- 3/4 cup chick peas
- 1 1/2 sweet pimento, flame roasted peppers (Vigo)
- 3 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese (Publix Deli)
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 cups grapes
- 1/3 cup black bean hummus (MaDame Blue Rose’s, from Ward’s Supermarket)
- 1/2 loaf crusty white baguette (Publix)
- 10 oz sangria (Skinny Girl; only if appropriate for age, of course)
- 10 dark chocolate squares (Dove Promises)
- Drain sardines, olives, chick peas, and peppers. Chop peppers. Slice cheese and sprinkle basil on top. Remove stems from grapes.
- Serve everything on separate dishes. Oh, and don’t forget to bring plates, forks, knives, napkins, glasses, lots of serving forks and spoons, and a smile. Enjoy in good company!
- Nutrition note: Enjoy a variety of foods to reap a variety of nutrients.