Jamie says: When I was younger, my Mom used to make Date Nut Bread for the holidays (especially Christmas) and other special occasions. It was a sweet and delicious treat that K and I looked forward to.
With her recipe in mind, I made Date Nut Oatmeal. I’m finding that a lot of dessert foods can be turned into healthy and delicious oatmeal breakfasts (i.e. Key Lime Pie Oatmeal, Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal with Sliced Bananas, Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal, etc).
I was happy to find dates without any added sugar- and they were still sweet! The dried fruit and nuts add some heartiness to a winter breakfast.
Cinnamon and spice and everything nice…
Date Nut Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal (Quaker)
- 1 cup water
- 6 pitted no sugar added dates (SunSweet)
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted mini almonds (Wonderful)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash ground cloves
- Combine oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Chop dates into thirds. Add to cooked oats along with almonds, cinnamon, and cloves. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Fiber, fiber, fiber. The oatmeal, dates, and almonds are all good sources of it on their own- so put them all together (like in this Date Nut Oatmeal) and you’ve got a breakfast that’s an excellent source of fiber! A good source of fiber has at least 2.5 g of fiber per serving (10% of the Daily Value) and an excellent source of fiber has at least 5 grams of fiber per serving.