Jamie says: Whether you have to run off to a meeting or your starving for dinner, we all have those nights where you need a quick meal. But quick doesn’t have to mean unhealthy or tasteless. Give this one a try. You’ll see.
The flavors culminated together nicely, with the salsa and kale dressing up the rice and shrimp.
I used the good, ol’ Golden Tray to dine on. Remember the Golden Tray? This one is the sister of the original! (It actually is the sister. The original one was from my mother and this new one was kindly given to us by my aunt when the original tray broke and she realized how much we used and loved the thing.)
Quick Shrimp, Kale, and Black Bean & Corn Salsa Over Brown Rice
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups kale (Glory Foods)
- dash salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup instant whole grain brown rice (Publix)
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 medium frozen shrimp, peeled & deveined, tail off (Publix, freezer by seafood section)
- 1/3 cup fire roasted salsa with black beans and corn (Publix Deli)
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized pot on medium-high heat. Add kale, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Stir. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently.
- In a small pot with a lid, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Spread shrimp on a microwave-safe plate. Cook in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes, rotate and stir shrimp (to promote even cooking), and cook an additional 2 1/2 minutes or until pink and thoroughly cooked.
- Scoop rice on plate and top with kale, shrimp, and salsa. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: If you want to include more whole grain rice in your diet, but don’t like to wait for it to cook, look for instant whole grain brown rice at the grocery store. It’s parboiled- meaning they do some of the cooking for you ahead of time- so you don’t have to wait.