Jamie says: Ring in 2012 with some black-eyed peas and all the good that comes with ’em! Whether you believe in the luck of this little bean for the New Year or not, Smoked Black-Eyed Peas with Leeks ‘n’ Kale is a healthy side dish that will fit perfectly on the table for those who want to eat healthfully (and deliciously) for the new year.
Smokey beans, tender leeks, and crispy kale bring flavor and good luck to the new year.
Smoked Black-eyed Peas with Leeks ‘n’ Kale
- 3 leeks
- 16 oz bag kale greens (Glory Foods)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- dash sea salt
- 15.5 oz can black-eyed peas
- applewood-smoked sea salt and herbs rub (Williams-Sonoma Smoke House Rub)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash leeks well and slice white stalks of leeks (discard dark green leafy part; rinse slices if there’s any dirt inside). Place leeks and kale in a large metal baking dish along with canola oil and sea salt. Mix well. Bake for about 35 minutes. Increase heat to broil and cook an additional one minute to brown.
- Drain and rinse black-eyed peas. Combine in a microwave-safe bowl with rub mix. Microwave 1 minute.
- Stir black-eyed peas into leeks and kale. Serve hot. Enjoy in good health for the new year!
- Nutrition note: Leeks contain prebiotics. Ever heard of prebiotics? They’re the food for the probiotics (good bacteria) in your digestive system that help you stay healthy.