Jamie says: Sometimes I just don’t feel like a sandwich or salad for lunch. Don’t get me wrong, there are times I really and truly enjoy a nice sandwich or a good salad, but there are also times when I want something else. It can be a challenge to come up with new lunch ideas. But when I thought of this pasta salad, it seemed unique enough.
I loved the vibrant colors, the crunch of the carrots and celery, and the way the curly pasta twirled in the flavors of olive oil and large crystals of sea salt and flakes of oregano.
It was a large salad, but it was light (round two isn’t pictured…it was still in the bowl but made it to my stomach soon). Lunch was a repeater. In fact, I made it again the next day.
Veggie Pasta Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup fusilli pasta (ours was from our trip to Italy- Verrigni fusilloro)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 slice yellow onion
- 4 leaves escarole (or lettuce or another leafy green)
- 10 black olives
- dice-sized piece of hard white cheese (or 1/4 cup shredded cheese)
- ½ cup chick peas
- ½ small tomato
- dash salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- dash sea salt
- Cook pasta according to directions on package (bring water to a boil, add pasta, and cook for about 10 minutes). Remove from heat, drain well, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, finely chop celery, carrot, onion, and escarole into thin pieces. Cut each olive into four slices. Chop cheese into small pieces. Rinse and drain chick peas. Chop tomato and sprinkle with salt, freshly ground pepper, and oregano. Place all veggies in a bowl and mix. Add extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Toss to coat.
- Add pasta to veggies. Mix to combine. Enjoy immediately or for a chilled pasta salad, refrigerate for at least an hour. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Don’t have time to make lunch in the AM? Try making this pasta salad the day or night before and you’ll have a healthy, tasty lunch you can enjoy on-the-go. (Don’t forget a fork.)