Jamie says: With K and Mom working, Dad and I have been tag-teaming dinner. We’ve become a good team. Dad had the idea of a wedge salad with our Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Kale and Shitake Mushrooms dinner. He showed me how to remove the center piece and cut it and I added the frills (aka toppings).
Crunchy lettuce, flavorful olives and toppings, and creamy dressing.
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 small vine-ripened tomato
- dash salt
- 2 thin slices onion
- 3/4 cup chickpeas
- 4 Spanish manzanilla olives stuffed with minced pimiento (green olives)
- 4 kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup Caesar Parmigiano yogurt salad dressing (Bolthouse Farms)
- To break center out of iceberg lettuce, whack the center on the corner of a clean counter top. Wash head of lettuce and cut in half. Cut one half into fourths, placing each on a separate small plate.
- Chop tomato and add salt. Cut onion slices into pieces. Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Decoratively place tomatoes, onion, chickpeas, and both types of olives on salad plates. Drizzle salad dressing on top. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Side salads aren’t only for restaurants. Add one to a meal at home to get in some extra veggies to fill you up a little before your main course.