Jamie says: I’ve been enjoying the food souvenirs from our family vacations. A bottle of white wine from our trip to San Francisco last year and a couple boxes of pasta from the Italy trip this year went into this dinner…
Gooey cheesiness, crispy kale, and tender shitake mushrooms…yum! The spiral pasta did a good job of holding the cheese, too. I scraped the pan clean on this one!
Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Kale and Shitake Mushrooms
- ~4 cups water
- ~3 cups fusilli pasta (ours was from our trip to Italy- Verrigni fusilloro)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (Campbell’s Healthy Request)
- 1 tsp deli mustard (Ba-Tampte)
- 1/2 cup fat free milk (Smart Balance fat free milk and omega-3s)
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (Publix), divided
- 16 oz kale greens (Glory Foods)
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- dash sea salt
- 3.5 oz shitake mushrooms (Publix)
- 2 Tbsp white wine (ours was from our trip to San Francisco, CA- Captain’s Reserve, Napa Valley from Rubicon Estate)
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium-large pot on high heat, bring water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook according to box, about 9 minutes. Drain pasta.
- In a casserole dish, combine cream of mushroom soup, mustard, milk, freshly ground pepper, 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and cooked pasta. Stir.
- In a large metal baking dish, add kale. (Use a paper towel to soak up any water, if needed.) Drizzle with grape seed oil and sea salt. Mix.
- Quickly rinse mushrooms. Pat dry. Place in a small saute pan on medium-low heat. Pour white wine on top. Place a lid on top of pan and cook for about 12 minutes or until soft and wine has cooked off.
- Place mac and cheese and kale in oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese on top of macaroni.
- In individual serving bowls, layer mac and cheese, baked kale, and mushrooms. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Mac and cheese doesn’t only have to be for the young-ins. Make it a healthy dinner everyone can enjoy by using low fat cheese and adding some tasty cooked veggies.