Jamie says: Sometimes I’m not sure where I come up with my cooking ideas. This one came to mind instantly…
It was creamy and sweet! (And the creaminess was from fat free yogurt- Kathryn was fooled by it.)
I topped it with a cherry walnut turkey burger and there you have it- dinner!
The moist, sweet slaw went well with the nutty burger.
Cherry Walnut Turkey Burgers on Ambrosia Slaw
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet pitted cherries (Publix)
- 20 oz extra lean (99/1) ground turkey breast with natural flavorings (Jennie-O)
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- dash salt
- 4 cups coleslaw- green and red cabbage and carrots (Publix)
- 1 1/2 cups French vanilla 0% fat yogurt (Stonyfield)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate flavored dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes (Publix)
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 1/2 small onion
- 20 oz can (10 slices) sliced pineapple in pineapple juice (Publix)
- Pre-heat grill to medium. Chop walnuts. Cut frozen cherries in half. Mix into ground turkey along with parsley flakes and salt. Form into 4-5 patties. Cook on grill on each side until the center of the burger patties reach an internal temperature of 165°F using a meat thermometer (about 5 minutes on each side).
- Pour coleslaw in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in yogurt, cranberries, and coconut flakes. Use hands to remove seeds from pomegranate; discard flesh. Add pomegranate seeds to bowl of coleslaw. Chop onion and add to bowl. Drain juice form pineapple; chop pineapple and add to bowl. Stir. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, scoop coleslaw on plate. Top with turkey burger patty. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Remember food safety when preparing meat and side dishes. Keep the raw meat and utensils (e.g. for the turkey burger) separate from the side dishes (e.g. coleslaw).