Jamie says: It’s Taco Tuesday! Gotta love themed dinners, so hop on board and join in on the fun!
Start with the toppings…
And then the “meat…”
And put it all together for a flavorful and fun fiesta!
It’s up to you if you want a few toppings or all of them… but I like some of everything.
I especially loved the flavor of the roasted corn, cooked peppers and onions, and seasoned turkey- but all the toppings together were wonderful!
It’s a little challenging rollin’ this baby up, but I have faith you can do it. (A fork may be helpful at the end.)
Hope you enjoy your taco Tuesday!
Turkey Taco Tuesday
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1/3 cup black olives (Lindsay Naturals)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- dash sea salt
- 2 ears corn
- 15.5 oz can reduced sodium black beans
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 packet taco seasoning mix (Publix)
- 3-6 high fiber whole wheat tortilla wraps (Ole Xtreme Wellness)
- Prepare cold toppings- Use kitchen shears to chop parsley; place in a small bowl. Cut avocado in half, peel off skin and remove pit; chop and place in a small bowl. Drain olives; slice each olive to make circles; place in a small bowl. Scoop shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream into separate bowls. Refrigerate all toppings.
- Slice top off pepper. Slice in half. Remove white membranes and seeds (use water to rinse). Cut pepper into 1/4 inch strips. Peel skin off onion. Slice onion into 1/4 inch strips. Place a large saute pan on medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to pan followed by sliced peppers and onions. Shake salt on top. Stir. Cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat, increase heat to medium-high and cook an additional 10 minutes or until brown and softened, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Place in a bowl.
- Remove husks from corn. Stand corn cob vertically on a large cutting board and use a knife to cut off kernels from each cob. On a medium-sized pan on medium heat, pour reserved 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add corn and sea salt. Stir. Cook for about 10 minutes, increase heat to medium high and cook for an additional 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Place in a bowl.
- Pour can of black beans into a microwave-safe dish. Heat for about 3 minutes. Stir before serving and serve with a slotted spoon. Leave in microwave until ready to serve.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add canola oil followed by ground turkey. Brown turkey by stirring with a large spoon for about 5 to 7 minutes or until meat turns white and is cooked throughout. Add water and seasoning mix. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and stir occasionally with a clean spoon. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Bring refrigerated toppings, peppers and onions, roasted corn, black beans, ground turkey, and tortillas to the dinner table. Place toppings on a lazy Susan if you have one. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Tacos are a great vehicle to hold a variety of vegetables. Plus, you’re hitting 4 of the 5 food groups with this meal (unless you count tomatoes as a fruit- then you’ve covered them all)!