Jamie says: I’ve really enjoyed entering recipe contests during the last few months. It was the perfect time for entering contests, too- I was finished with grad school, vacationing, and looking for a job. I enjoy competition, so this was a great outlet for that as well. I entered quite a few of these contests. My sister even wrote on my Facebook wall: “my sis currently works full-time…entering recipe contests :).”
Here was my entry for the Beyond Breakfast category of the Food and Culinary Professionals Quaker’s at Breakfast and Beyond Recipe Contest. Although it didn’t make the finals, it was still awesome! Can’t win ’em all, but you can’t win any if you don’t try. You can check out the other awesome recipes and vote for the winner if you’d like. (I did.)
Gotta love the flavors of toasted oats, sesame ginger dressing, feta cheese, and fresh scallions!
Sesame Ginger Oat Pork Burgers with Feta and Scallions
Prep time: 6 minutes
Cook time: 24 minutes
- 1 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 1/3 lb ground pork
- 2/3 cup low fat sesame ginger dressing
- ½ cup reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp dried Italian herbs (e.g. basil, parsley, oregano)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 scallions
- 1 large tomato
- 4 sliced 100% whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 tsp spicy brown mustard
- ½ cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Place ground pork on a large plate and mix in toasted oats, dressing, feta, herbs, and pepper. Form into 4 patties. Cook on grill for about 7 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 7 minutes or until cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F when measured with a food thermometer.
- Chop scallions and slice tomatoes.
- Assemble burgers: Spread mustard on bottom of each bun. Place sliced tomatoes and then burgers on top. Add ketchup, scallions, and top bun.
- Nutrition note: Add some oats to your burger to make them bigger without adding more meat. You’re also adding soluble fiber which helps reduce cholesterol. A double win!