Jamie says: Zucchini was on sale at Publix this week. I bought it but wanted to prepare it differently than usual. I thought of the delicious zucchini side dish I’ve enjoyed at Carrabba’s Italian Grill, and the cooking began…
It actually did reminded me of the zucchini at Carrabba’s!
The zucchini was so tender and the sauce so delicious!
Zucchini with Red Sauce
- 1 3/4 lbs fresh zucchini squash
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- 1/8 tsp coarse sea salt (Alessi)
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 15.5 oz can tomato sauce (Contadina organic sauce)
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese (Publix)
- Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch circles and place in a large saute pan (or divide among two medium saute pans) with extra virgin olive oil on medium high heat. Add salt and pepper. Stir. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and reducing heat to medium if needed.
- Add garlic and cook 3 minutes longer. Pour sauce into pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Heat until sauce is warm. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle individual servings with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Did you know zucchini is high in vitamin C? It’s also a good source of manganese and molybdenum, according to Fruits & Veggies More Matters. What are manganese and molybdenum? They are minerals. Manganese is needed for bones and both manganese and molybdenum helps certain enzymes in your body work.