Jamie says: I had just finished reading the book Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor. I haven’t had the chance to read many books for fun in a long time. It was a wonderful story told by a mother and a daughter through their travels about their relationship with each other and with themselves.
The mother and daughter traveled to Greece, a country I would love to visit one day. As I read about some of the Greek dishes they ate, it inspired me to make something a little Greek, but with the ingredients I had at hand, it turned out to be a little Italian, too…
So I’m calling it Mediterranean!
It’s easy to make, looks so colorful, and tastes flavorful!
Mediterranean Salad Parfait
- 2 medium-sized jarred roasted red peppers (Vigo Sweet Pimento Flame Roasted Peppers)
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat feta crumbled cheese (Publix)
- 10 black olives (Lindsay Naturals)
- 5 leaves fresh basil (from my Mom’s garden)
- Slice peppers into strips. Chop basil.
- Layer half of peppers, cheese, olives and basil in a small glass bowl or cup. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: There have been a lot of research studies showing the benefits of the Mediterranean diet lately (and also in the past). This healthy eating pattern promotes heart-healthy fats, fruits, and veggies.