Jamie says: Whether the weather is hot or cold, soup is always a comforting meal. And it’s even better when you can make it ahead of time and come home to a warm bowl…
The slow cooker was a great help in that it allowed us to go to the beach for sunset and come home to dinner already cooked and ready to go. Can’t get much better than that!
I loved the crunchy and flavor-packed croutons and variety of veggies in the hot soup…
Slow-Cooker Veggie Soup with Garlic Rosemary Croutons
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 4 carrots
- 2 Idaho potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cup celery leaves
- 8 oz whole baby bella mushrooms
- 15.8 oz can Great Northern beans (Bush’s)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup leftover baked kale
- 32 oz carton original chicken cooking stock (Kitchen Basics)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 baton multigrain bread (Publix Bakery)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp dried crushed rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 6 cloves garlic
- Slice zucchini, squash, and carrots into coin-shaped pieces; cut large pieces in half. Chop potatoes and onion. Slice celery. Chop celery leaves into large pieces. Quarter mushrooms. Drain and rinse beans. Add ingredients to a large slow-cooker. Add can of tomatoes with juices, baked kale, chicken broth, and extra virgin olive oil. Stir. Set slow cooker on auto or low cook; cook for about 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cube bread. Place in the center of a large baking pan, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, rosemary, and oregano. Use a garlic press to add crushed garlic. (Use pieces inside of garlic press, too.) Toss to coat. Spread bread cubes out on sheet and bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
- Pour bowls of soup and top with croutons.
- Nutrition note: Opt for a lighter, vegetable-based broth soup. Many of the creamy soups are high in saturated fat and calories.