Jamie says: I was planning on throwing together a quick lunch that I wouldn’t blog, but when I came up with this idea in the kitchen, I couldn’t help but run to get my camera before chowing down.
I used avocados as a mayonnaise substitute in egg salad. Geniuses pick green! (Meet the Parents movie, anyone? K and I have watched it over a dozen times.)
I instantly thought of “green eggs and ham” and thought this could be a “green eggs and sand(wich)?” This could be really fun for St. Patty’s Day, too!
The avocado made an amazing substitute for mayonnaise because it was so creamy!
Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 large slice of avocado
- 1 green onion
- 2 slices tomato (heirloom)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup spinach
- one 100% whole wheat bun
- In a small bowl, place a peeled hard-boiled egg. Mash with a fork. Place avocado slice on top and add salt and pepper. Slice green onion and add to egg salad. Use a fork to mash and blend.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Place spinach on bottom bun followed by tomato and then egg salad. Close sandwich. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: By substituting avocados for mayonnaise you are swapping a fat for a vegetable with healthy fats. Avocados are packed with a variety of nutrients (vitamin K, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, pantothenic acid, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, fiber, and lutein) and contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, according to the California Avocado Commission website.