Jamie says: I woke up this morning feeling a bit under the weather (aka I have a cold). I like to deny that I’m sick until it’s quite obvious that I am because, personally, I believe a good chunk of it’s mental. I also believe you can fight it faster with good nutrition and rest. So this morning, despite having all my bike gear laid out and my alarm set, I skipped my morning bike ride and slept in a little more. Then, for breakfast, I made:
I’ve never added lemon to my oatmeal, but maybe it (the vitamin C) was what my body needed since I am fighting this cold. I really liked the bold flavor the lemon zest added and the crunch of the almonds.
Creamy and Zesty Lemon Yogurt Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (Quaker)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lemon
- 6 oz lemon 0% fat yogurt (Stonyfield)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (Wonderful)
- Combine oats and water, in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Use a microplane to zest lemon. Add half of zest to cooked oatmeal. Juice lemon and add juice to oatmeal. Stir.
- Scoop yogurt on top. Sprinkle remaining zest on yogurt. Sprinkle almond slivers around the perimeter of the bowl. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: By using fresh lemon juice and zest in your breakfast, you’re adding vitamin C (and lots of flavor) to your morning meal for only a few more calories.