Jamie says: I’ve got oatmeal on my mind lately. I’m brainstorming recipes for an oatmeal contest. You should see the brainstorming “web” I made. Remember those from elementary school? They really do come in handy!
For breakfast today, I made…
The cinnamon oatmeal with the graham cracker and pecan crumble made a great “crust.” And the key lime yogurt was not too sweet- perfect for breakfast.
Key Lime Pie Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (Quaker)
- 1 cup water
- 1 graham cracker (Publix)
- 10 pecan halves
- 6 oz key lime yogurt (Stonyfield 0% fat, 100 calories)
- 2 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 Tbsp marshmallow Fluff or whipped cream
- Combine oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes. Add cinnamon. Stir.
- Crumble graham cracker and crush pecans. Combine. Sprinkle on outer rim of oatmeal to form a “crust.”
- Mix food coloring in yogurt (if desired) and scoop yogurt on top of oatmeal and within “crust.” Top with a dollop of Fluff or whipped cream. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: What makes this recipe healthier than your typical key lime pie? There’s fiber from the oatmeal and pecans; calcium, vitamin D, potassium, and protein from the yogurt; healthy fats from the pecans; and some whole grains from the oatmeal and the graham crackers. Plus it’s a lot lower in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories. Oh, and you can eat this whole “pie” for a meal!