Jamie says: I’ve recently started experimenting with protein bars and protein powder. Most of the products I’ve had were actually quite tasty and filling. My friend Stephanie introduced me to the idea of adding whey protein powder to oatmeal when I stayed at her house once. So today, I tried making it myself for the first time…
I liked the sweet burst of flavor the cherries brought to the dish and how the milk added moisture. The chocolate flavor wasn’t as strong as when I add the protein powder to cold milk, but it was still good.
I enjoyed this breakfast before my first big group bike ride with my Uncle Steve, but it would make a great recovery meal, too.
Chocolate Cherry Oats with Whey Protein
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (Quaker)
- 1 cup water
- 1 scoop (34 g) chocolate whey protein powder (Solgar Whey to go)
- 3 Tbsp dried tart cherries
- 1/3 cup fat free milk
- In a microwave-safe bowl, stir together oats, water, protein powder, and cherries. Microwave 3 minutes. Stir.
- Pour milk in bowl. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Chocolate Cherry Oats with Whey Protein can be an athlete power breakfast. Tart cherries have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and have been shown to be beneficial in muscle function and recovery after workouts. Consuming adequate protein is also important for athletes since they’re muscles are breaking down and rebuilding.