Jamie says: Oh, the power of suggestion. No wonder commercials work! I had the perfect lunch in mind- a pork sandwich. Nothing was going to stop me from making it. It would be just what I wanted. Nope. I saw Kathryn making an egg salad sandwich in the kitchen. I was done. Complete change of course. Lunch would be an egg salad sandwich. Hey, at least it wasn’t an unhealthy alternative.
I didn’t regret my decision one bit (or should I say “bite”). It was delightful. A classic egg salad sandwich with a little extra boost of flavor (and nutrition) from the whole wheat bread and LTO (lettuce, tomato, and onion).
Egg Salad Sandwich
- 2 large eggs (free range)
- 1 Tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise with olive oil (Hellmann’s)
- dash salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices 100% stoneground whole wheat bread (Publix Premium)
- 1 slice sweet onion
- 2 slices vine-ripened tomato
- 2 leaves Romaine lettuce
- Put eggs in a small pot and fill pot with enough tap water to cover eggs. Place on stove top on high heat. Bring water to a boil. Remove pot from heat, place a lid on pot, and allow to sit for 13 minutes. Drain water. Place egg in a bowl with tap water to cool egg. Crack egg in bowl and use water to help remove the shell. Refrigerate eggs until cool.
- Place eggs in a bowl. Mash with a fork. Add mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Combine.
- Spread egg salad on one slice of bread. Place lettuce on top. Slice onion and tomato. Place on top of lettuce. Add a dash of salt and pepper to tomato slices. Place slice of bread on top. Slice sandwich in half. Enjoy!
Serving suggestion: Serve with a half cup of grapes.
- Nutrition note: If you can, surround yourself by healthy choices and limit the amount of time you spend watching TV. You’d be surprised how many food commercials there are (especially for unhealthy food). Count ’em one day. You may be surprised!