Jamie says: My family and I went to the Broncos v. Dolphins football game to see Tim Tebow, our Gator quarterback, play for the Broncos yesterday afternoon. Right before heading out to the game, I threw together a quick sandwich to-go for lunch for Kathryn and me.
Kathryn said she’d take one of whatever I made, so she was in for a surprise. When we got to Sun Life Stadium, we pulled out our lawn chairs and enjoyed some snacks. We wandered around to take in the tailgating scene with our delicious sandwiches in hand.
Kathryn raved over the sandwich while we dodged some Gator-hater comments. The hearty bread held the saucy BBQ tempeh well; the tomato paired nicely with the mayonnaise; and the bite of the watercress was tamed by the tasty BBQ sauce.
Then, we we entered the stadium to watch the game…
What a game! What a game! As a Gator alumnus, I’m a hardcore Tim Tebow fan, but as a born-and-raised Florida girl, I should be loyal to the Dolphins. Today, though, I rooted for the Broncos, just like a mother cheers for the team her kid plays for (I give full credit to Kathryn for that analogy). And what an awesome game it was for the Broncos! If you left early, like the seemingly intense Dolphins fans in front of us, you pretty much missed all the excitement. Because in those few minutes, the Broncos went from zero to overtime to victory!
Game Day BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
- 8 oz three grain organic tempeh (Lightlife)
- 1/4 cup mild Bar-B-Q sauce (Stubb’s)
- 2 slices sprouted 100% whole grain bread (Food for Life, Ezekiel 4:9)
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise with olive oil (Hellmann’s)
- 1/2 medium tomato
- 1 cup watercress
- Crumble tempeh with a fork. Place on a saute pan on medium-high heat. Add BBQ sauce. Mix well. Heat for about 4 minutes or until warm.
- Spread mayonnaise on two slices of bread. Slice tomato.
- Scoop tempeh on other two slices of bread. Add watercress and sliced tomato. Top with bread slices with mayonnaise.
- Wrap sandwiches in aluminum foil. Tear the aluminum foil down in strips as you go. Enjoy the sandwiches and the game!
- Nutrition note: Tailgating for a game? Pack some healthy snacks and sandwich. Not only will you be helping your waistline but also your wallet.