Jamie says: Have you heard the cost of peanut butter is going up? I found out last night and all of a sudden, I craved peanut butter and nuts today. It’s funny how that works sometimes. So at breakfast, I blended peanut butter into my milk; at lunch, I added cashews to my salad; and now for my snack, what did I add on my apples? That’s right, peanut butter (and a couple of other tasty toppings). I made Peanut Butter & Jelly Apples with Chocolate Chips. It was delicious- and I think my peanut butter and nut cravings have been satisfied for the day. I think I might have to stalk up on this stuff…
The taste? Heavenly! Think Reese’s peanut butter cups meet Joyva chocolate covered jelly rings. Yum!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Apples with Chocolate Chips
- 1 medium apple (gala)
- 2 Tbsp trans-fat free peanut butter (Smart Balance)
- 1 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate morsels (Publix)
- 1 Tbsp preserves (Smuckers red raspberry)
- Wash apple and use an apple corer/slicer to cut apple into slices.
- Spread peanut butter on one side of each slice.
- Make a row of chocolate morsels on top of peanut butter down the length of the apple slice.
- Spread jam above chocolate morsels, near apple skin. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Natural peanut butter is a source of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, protein, vitamins (e.g. folate, vitamin E), minerals (e.g. magnesium), and resveratrol, according to an article by sports nutrition guru and Registered Dietitian, Nancy Clark). Although peanut butter is good for you, it’s also high in calories, so just remember to keep your portions in check.