Jamie says: Happy Halloween! Looking for something a little “spooky” to make that’s healthy for you? Try making worms! No, I’m not talking about real live (or dead) worms. I’m talking about my Italian Grandmother’s recipe for eggplant!
When I was young and visited my Grandmother at her house for lunch, I remember she put these things that looked like worms on a salad.
After a little inquiring, I discovered they were thinly sliced pieces of eggplant. I fondly called them worms. They were so delicious that I asked my Grandmother for the recipe. They have a strong pickled/vinegar taste. The extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and oregano makes them taste like an antipasto side dish. I hope you enjoy them, too!
“Worms”- Pickled Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 cups red wine and/or white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Slice eggplant in half length-wise. Cut into thin strips. Place in a container with a lid. Press down. Pour enough vinegar to cover eggplant, about 2 cups. Place lid on top. Refrigerate and marinate for 24-72 hours.
- Drain vinegar and discard. Pour fresh vinegar over eggplant to cover, about 1 cup. Refrigerate and marinate for about 12-24 hours.
- Drain vinegar. Press eggplant gently to remove excess vinegar. Pour olive olive oil on top. Mince garlic and add to eggplant. Add oregano. Stir. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Festive holiday food doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Look for some fun, healthy recipes to add to the menu and still enjoy the occasion.